04 January 2007

"Without Instruments"

Some months ago, I blogged about what it feels like to sing a cappella. That piece was as close to the sensation as I could come up with--of course writing about singing, is a bit like talking about walking. That is to say ... useful but it doesn't "move you" the same.

If you've never read that piece, its pretty cleverly called ... "A Cappella." I like to keep it tricky. I'm sure it's still highlighted. Today's entry might not make much sense if you're unfamiliar -- aside from being a simply gorgeous piece of music.

Say the phrase a cappella, and most people think you are referring to barbershop. I LOVE chromatic harmony, but my obsession is much bigger than that.

Ahhhh...but leave it to youtube, and the greatest a cappella singer of my generation to capture the moment I was trying to share with you.

So I will.





...and now I feel like we've shared this moment. Thanks Bobby. (I'm sorry for your loss, btw. Peace to you.)


The rest of you, my friends ... have a fantastic day, today.

P.S. Just because gluttony is my favorite sin, sometime later on ... when you have more time, and want to hear some more Bobby, because that song got stuck in your head, and you've been humming the Ave Maria all day and would really like to quit ... stop back through, and check THIS one out.





Bobby McFerrin, ladies and gentlemen.

Ok, Ok ... ONE MORE. Because it's Thursday, and for some of us the weekend can't come soon enough ... and because I hate to say A Cappella without giving a nod to the single greatest a cappella group to ever pick up microphones...





Take 6. "Lamb of God."



If a picture is worth 1000 words, what'll youtube do to writers?



Anyhow ... that's enough gluttony for today.



--Stew.
(originally posted 4 Jan 07)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stew's Number